Salifert Calcium Test Kit
Why use the TMC Salifert Calcium Test Kit?
Salifert Calcium Test Kit instructions
1. Add with 2 ml syringe 2 ml of water in the test vial. For a low resolution and more tests per kit add 1 ml instead of 2 ml.
2. Add 1 spoon of Ca-1 (low resolution approx. 1/2 spoon) do not swirl yet.
3. Add 8 drops of Ca-2 to the water in the test vial. and swirl gently for 10 seconds. For low resolution 4 instead of 8 drops.
4. Put the plastic tip firmly on the 1 ml syringe. And draw into the syringe the Ca-3 reagent (ensure that the end of the plastic tip is constantly submersed in the Ca-3 reagent) till the lower end of the black part of the pistion is exactly at the 1.00 ml mark. There will be air present just below the piston. This is the air which was present between the end of the plactic tip and the piston. This will not influence the test result.
5. Add dropwise with the 1 ml syringe the Ca-3 reagent to the water in the test tube. Swirl after each drop a second or two.
Continue with this until color changes from pink-red to a clear blue color.
6. Hold the syringe with the tip facing upward and read the position of the , now the upper end, of the black part of the piston. The syringe has graduations of 0.01 ml. Read the Calcium value from the table or calculate as follows.
ppm Ca = (1 – reading in step 6) x 500
If you have chosen for the lower resolution multiply the calculated result by 2.
Natural sea water contains 400 – 425 ppm calcium. Use salifert’s Coral Calcium for good results.
Note: If you took 1.5 ml of water in step 1 then multiply the calcium values by 2!